[Python-Dev] How we can get rid of eggs for 2.6 and beyond

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Sat Mar 22 02:44:42 CET 2008

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 06:41:00PM -0400, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> I'm making the assumption that the author(s) of PEP 262 had good
> reason for including what they did, rather than assuming that we
> should start the entire process over from scratch.

The goal *was* originally to provide for RPM-like verification of file
content, but I don't know that the verification feature really matters
that much; OSes with packaging systems already support such a feature,
probably, and it probably isn't particularly useful for systems
without a packaging system.

--amk