[Python-Dev] PEP 365 (Adding the pkg_resources module)

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Mar 20 16:31:20 CET 2008

At 09:44 AM 3/20/2008 -0400, Tres Seaver wrote:
>I don't know how to make this requirement compatible with using shared
>dependencies, except to make it easier for folks to download *all* the
>requirements, and later install from the local "distribution cache" (a
>directory full of .zip / .egg / .tgs files).  It does turn out to be
>quite easy to build a PyPI-style "simple" index for such a cache.  Your
>use case would then require:
>
>  1. Run some command to fetch the desired package and the transitive
>     closure of its dependencies into a working directory (the cache).
>
>  2. Run another command to build an index for that directory.
>
>  3. Run 'easy_install', pointing to the local index.

Actually, if someone were to develop a patch for PyPI to do this, we
could perhaps have a "display download dependencies" link for eggs
shown on PyPI.  That way, someone who wants to do a manual download
could get a page with links for all the required eggs, and manually
download them.

(Of course, the other alternative would be for someone to provide an
IE-controlling extension to urllib2 so that easy_install wouldn't be
proxy-bound on such machines.)