[Python-Dev] how to build extensions for Windows?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Mar 20 02:41:42 CET 2008

> I've set up a Parallels virtual machine on my Mac, and have succeeded
> in getting Windows XP running in it!  And I've installed MinGW, as
> well.  Now I'd like to learn how to build the SSL module from source
> on Windows for Python 2.5.2.  Is there any documentation on the
> process of building an extension from scratch that's appropriate for
> someone who doesn't know much about Windows?  I'm looking for
> step-by-step.

I'll make a custom Bill-Janssen-Step-By-Step-List:

try:
    1. Write a setup.py file. See distutils documentation for details.
    2. Install Python 2.5.2
    3. Run
       c:\python25\python.exe setup.py build --compiler=mingw32
    4. Run
       c:\python25\python.exe setup.py build --compiler=mingw32
bdist_wininst
except Exception, e:
    A. Post e to python-dev
else:
    5. Upload dist/* to PyPI
       (you can use setup.py upload for that also)

HTH,
Martin