[Python-Dev] PEP 365 (Adding the pkg_resources module)

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Mar 19 18:48:02 CET 2008

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 3:36 PM, Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> At 03:43 PM 3/18/2008 -0500, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>  >Only very few people would care about writing a setup
>  >script that works with this bootstrap module; basically only package
>  >manager implementers.
>
>  That's true today, sure, but as soon as it is widely available,
>  others are sure to want to use it too.  I just want a bright-line
>  distinction between what is and isn't bootstrappable, rather than a
>  murky region of "maybe, if you're not doing anything too complicated".

How about "anything that uses only distutils in its setup.py and
doesn't have external dependencies"? See a (horribly incomplete)
prototype I added as sandbox/bootstrap/bootstrap.py. I wrote this on
the plane last night and have only tested it with file:/// URLs; it
needs to add the ability to consult PyPI to find the download URL, and
probably more. (PS: just now I also managed to successfully install
setuptools from source by giving it the URL to the gar.gz file.)

>  >There seems to be a misunderstanding about what I am proposing we do
>  >instead. The boostrap installer should only be powerful enough to
>  >allow it to be used to install a real package manager like setuptools.
>
>  Which is why PEP 365 proposed only downloading an archive to a cache
>  directory, and optionally running something from it.  It explicitly
>  disavows "installation" of anything, since the downloaded archive
>  wouldn't have been added to sys.path except for the duration of the
>  bootstrap process, and no scripts were to be installed.  (Indeed,
>  apart from the methods it would have used to locate the archive on
>  PyPI, and to determine what to run from inside it, there was nothing
>  particularly egg-specific about the proposed bootstrapping process.)

My bootstrap.py does exactly that: it downloads and unzips/untars a
file and runs its setup.py with "install" as the only command line
argument. (It currently looks for setup.py at the toplevel and one
level deep in the unpacked archive.) Of course you will likely have to
be root or administrator to run it effectively.

>  So, to fully egg-neutralize the bootstrapping approach, we need only
>  know how to locate an appropriate archive, and how to determine what
>  to run from it.

Right.

>  For the latter, we could use the already-in-2.6 convention of running
>  __main__ from a zipfile or directory.  (Too bad distutils source
>  distributions have an extra directory name embedded in them, so one
>  can't just execute them directly.  Otherwise, we could've just let
>  people drop in a __main__.py next to setup.py.  OTOH, maybe it would
>  be enough to use setuptools' algorithm for finding setup.py to locate
>  __main__.py, and I'm fairly sure *that* can be briefly expressed in the PEP.)

What's wrong with just running "setup.py install"? I'd rather continue
existing standards / conventions. Of course, it won't work when
setup.py requires setuptools; but "old style" setup.py files that use
only distutils work great (I managed to install Django from a file:///
URL).

>  The other open question is a naming convention and version detection,
>  so that the bootstrap tool can identify which of the files listed on
>  PyPI is suitable for its use.  (Both with regard to the version
>  selection, and file type.)  However, if PyPI were to grow support for
>  designating the appropriate files and/or versions in some other way,
>  we wouldn't need a naming convention as such.

I don't understand PyPI all that well; it seems poor design that the
browsing via keywords is emphasized but there is no easy way to
*search* for a keyword (the list of all packages is not emphasized
enough on the main page -- it occurs in the side bar but not in the
main text). I assume there's a programmatic API (XML-RPC?) but I
haven't found it yet.

>  Without one or the other, the bootstrap tool would have to grow a
>  version parsing scheme of some type, and play guessing games with
>  file extensions.  (Which is one reason I limited PEP 365's scope to
>  downloading eggs actually *uploaded* to PyPI, rather than arbitrary
>  packages *linked* from PyPI.)

There are two version parsers in distutils, referenced by PEP 345, the
PyPI 1.2 metadata standard.

>  So, if I had to propose something right now, I would be inclined to propose:
>
>  * using setuptools' version parsing semantics for interpretation of
>  alpha/beta/dev/etc. releases

Can you point me to the code for this? What is its advantage over
distutils.version?

>  * having a bdist_bootstrap format that's essentially a bdist_dumb
>  .zip file with the internal path prefixes stripped off, making it an
>  importable .zip with a different file extension.  (Or maybe just
>  .pyboot.zip?)  The filename convention would use setuptools'
>  canonicalization and escaping of names and version numbers, to allow
>  unambiguous machine parsing of the filename.  A __main__ module would
>  have to be present for the archive to be run, as opposed to just
>  being downloaded to a temporary directory.

Hm. Why not just use the existing convention for running setup.py
after unpacking? This works great in my experience, and has the
advantage of having an easy fallback if you end up having to do this
manually for whatever reason.

>  * calling the bootstrap module 'bootstrap', as in 'python -m
>  bootstrap projectname optionalversion'.  The module would expose an
>  API to allow it to be used programmatically as well as the command
>  line, so that bootstrapped packages can use the bootstrap process to
>  locate dependencies if they so desire.  (Today's package management
>  tools, at least, are all based on setuptools, so if it's not present
>  they'll need to download that before beginning their own
>  bootstrapping process.)

This sounds like going beyond bootstrapping. My vision is that you use
the bootstrap module (with the command line you suggest above) once to
install setuptools or the alternate package manager of your choice,
and then you can use easy_install (or whatever alternative) to install
the rest.

>  Apart from keeping the PEP self-contained and short, is there
>  anything in this that you think you would object to?  (You may
>  reserve the right, of course, to later not like something in the
>  details of setuptools' version/filename rules, after I've put them
>  into the PEP, or really, anything else.  I'm just asking if there's
>  anything that's obviously offensive at this point, before I spend
>  time on a new PEP.)

I'd love it if you could write or point me to code that takes a
package name and optional version and returns the URL for the source
archive, and the type (in case it can't be guessed from the filename
or the Content-type header).