[Python-Dev] Installing Python 2.6 alpha1 on Windows XP

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Tue Mar 18 11:38:28 CET 2008

Paul Moore schrieb:
> That's odd. In theory, having msvcr90.dll in C:\Python26 should be
> sufficient, as once python.exe is loaded, its directory is added to
> the DLL search path. Maybe it's something to do with the "side by side
> manifest installation" stuff (or whatever it's called).
>
> Martin, can you comment? It looks like the 3.0 installer uses 2 copies
> of msvcr90.dll, where the 2.6 one doesn't. I would have thought that
> only one is necessary, but Gregor's experiments seem to demonstrate
> otherwise.

In practice it's not enough on XP and higher. Starting with XP, Windows
supports side by side assemblies (SxS). SxS assemblies must be installed
following a special convention. The MSDN web site contains some
examples. It suc.. err it's fun :/

We are still having problems to integrate the MS Merge module into our
MSI. Martin is working on the problem. In the mean time you can work
around the problem by installing the MSVCRT 9.0 Redist.

Christian