[Python-Dev] [Python-3000] xturtle and 3.0

Gregor Lingl gregor.lingl at aon.at
Mon Mar 17 21:35:55 CET 2008

Brett Cannon schrieb:
> The current plan is to introduce a tk package and turtle was to become
> tk.turtle. xturtle, if picked up, can just take the place of the
> current turtle at that location.
>
> -Brett

Hi Brett,

as you probably can imagine, I'd like to try out xturtle.py with Python 2.6
Alas, I didn't succeed installing Python 2.6 correctly on my Windows
machine using
the Windows msi installer.

Whereas I could start the python interpreter successfully it was
impossible to use it
to execute either idle.py nor turtle.py

In the first case I got an import error:

import _socket
Import Error: DLL load failed

in the second one likewise

import _tkinter
Import Error: DLL load failed

A look on sys.path showed the DLLs directory to be present there.
Do you have an explanation for this behaviour? What can I do to
avoid it? Do I have to take some special action when installing the
alpha release (I did it "for this user only")?

With best regards,
Gregor