[Python-Dev] [Distutils] PEP 365 (Adding the pkg_resources module)

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 17:35:24 CET 2008

On 17/03/2008, Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> >The PEP suggests that other package managers also benefit. How do they
> >benefit if the bootstrap script installs setuptools?
>
> Because those other package managers depend, in fact, on setuptools,
> or at least pkg_resources...  which was why the original proposal was
> to just include pkg_resources in the first place.  :)

I'm puzzled. We seem to be talking about adding a module to the stdlib
whose basic function is to download and install setuptools? How is
this better than just including setuptools in the stdlib?

Personally, I have no problem per se with including setuptools in the
stdlib. Maybe that means I miss the subtle benefit of this approach...

I'm -1 on having a module which just installs setuptools.
I'm +0 on including pkg_resources (as described in PEP 365) in the stdlib.

I'm +lots on someone giving a clear explanation of the meaning and
interrelationship of the various terms involved in this discussion
(setuptools, easy_install, pkg_resources, eggs, "package managers" as
distinct from setuptools, etc etc) so that the discussion gets some
much-needed clarity :-(

I'm -1 on adding anything until PEP 365 is updated to match what is
being proposed, and then that amended PEP is submitted for discussion.

Paul.