[Python-Dev] The Case Against Floating Point ==

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Thu Mar 13 15:39:31 CET 2008

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008, Imri Goldberg wrote:

> My suggestion is to do either of the following:
> 1. Change floating point == to behave like a valid floating point
> comparison. That means using precision and some error measure.
> 2. Change floating point == to raise an exception, with an error string
> suggesting using precision comparison, or the decimal module.

This is an interesting idea, but python-dev is the wrong place.  You
should probably start with python-ideas, then move to c.l.python, then
finally bring it up on python-3000.

But in any event, it probably doesn't matter: it's too late.  Although we
have not released a beta, we are far along the alpha cycle and this is
too big a change.  Remember that Python 3.0 is scheduled to have final
release in August.

indirection."  --Butler Lampson