[Python-Dev] repeated keyword arguments

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sat Jun 28 00:56:18 CEST 2008

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 2:23 PM, Benjamin Peterson
<musiccomposition at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 2:11 PM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
>> Sounds like a regression in 2.5 (and in 2.6, and in 3.0). Probably due
>> to the switch to the  new AST-based compiler. Can you file a bug? I
>> think we should leave 2.5 alone (too much risk of breaking code) but
>> fix it in 2.6 and 3.0 if we can.
>
> I think code that uses this is probably already quite broken in some
> fundamental way and putting the fix in 2.5 isn't much of a risk.

No, it could just be a harmless typo in a long argument list. I really
don't want to break code that is apparently working as part of an
upgrade from 2.5.2 to 2.5.3. I want people to be completely fearless
when it comes to such an upgrade: they should be able to just install
it without having to think about testing anything, just like most
people routinely install a new minor Linux upgrade pushed by their
distribution.

2.6 is a different story, everyone knows they have to do testing
before deciding it's safe to upgrade from 2.x to 2.(x+1).