[Python-Dev] urllib, multipart/form-data encoding and file uploads

Chris AtLee chris at atlee.ca
Fri Jun 27 15:42:35 CEST 2008

Hello,

I notice that there is some work being done on urllib / urllib2 for
python 2.6/3.0.  One thing I've always missed in urllib/urllib2 is the
facility to encode POST data as multipart/form-data.  I think it would
also be useful to be able to stream a POST request to the remote
server rather than having requiring the user to create the entire POST
body in memory before starting the request.  This would be extremely
useful when writing any kind of code that does file uploads.

I didn't see any recent discussion about this so I thought I'd ask
here: do you think this would make a good addition to the new urllib
package?

Cheers,
Chris