[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] r64424 - in python/trunk:Include/object.h Lib/test/test_sys.py Misc/NEWSObjects/intobject.c Objects/longobject.c Objects/typeobject.cPython/bltinmodule.c

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 17:47:57 CEST 2008

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> I personally don't want to see the feature in its current form added
> to 2.7/3.1 either. As others pointed out, it's a wart on the
> bin/oct/hex functions.
>
> So as far as the feature design goes, I offer some suggestions: a new
> module; or a new function in math; or a new method on float. Since
> Raymond is the champion for the feature let him choose the API from
> those alternatives.
>
> Regarding the addition to 2.6/3.0 post beta 1, I think a new module
> has the most chance of success, especially if it's written in Python
> in such a way as to need minimal changes between 2.6 and 3.0.

One of the other reasons I'd like to postpone the feature is that I
think with a clean design behind it it could be an elegant addition to
those builtins rather than a wart.

But helping Raymond to convince you or anyone else of that is well down
my to-do list at the moment (which I think just got longer with the
test_support discussion...)

Cheers,
Nick.