[Python-Dev] Undocumenting test.support in 3.x (was Py3k DeprecationWarning in stdlib)

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Jun 25 23:00:44 CEST 2008

I'm a little worried about making stuff undocumented that every core
developer needs to use -- everyone writing tests needs to continue to
use test_support (now test.support?). I imagine people writing unit
test suites for 3rd party libraries might want to use its services
too.

In general I'm not a big fan of having undocumented APIs; 9 out of 10
times someone finds a genuine use case for such an API, and then
you're worse off than if it was documented to begin with, since if
people start using undocumented APIs, they necessarily
reverse-engineer how it works, and then you can never change it. If it
was documented, at least you may be able to get away with modifying
the undocumented parts, assuming people actually read the docs.
(Though we've had cases where the docs and implementation were
inconsistent for years, and eventually we ended up fixing the docs...)

--Guido