[Python-Dev] Python Windows Installers

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Jun 24 20:21:46 CEST 2008

> I'm just doing some housekeeping on a Windows install, and notice that
> the 'Publisher' of my Python 2.4 and 2.5 installs is shown as "Martin v.
> Lowis". Whilst I *personally* find this very reassuring I wonder if this
> is intended / ideal?

I certainly intended it: the field really is called the "author" file in
MSI, and is (was) intended to indicate the "manufacturer" of the MSI,
see

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa367808(VS.85).aspx

That Vista calls it "publisher" is somewhat ambiguous.

In any case, bug #1737210 complained about it, and I changed it to
"Python Software Foundation". I can't retroactively change it for the
releases you are looking at.

Regards,
Martin