[Python-Dev] r64407 - python/trunk/Doc/library/multiprocessing.rst

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Fri Jun 20 20:26:52 CEST 2008

> On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 08:55:13AM -0700, Bill Janssen wrote:
> > > Is anyone else finding it increasingly odd that subprocess, signal,
> > > socket/ssl, and syncore are in the same chapter?  I'm tempted to move
> > > socket, ssl, asyncore+asynchat into a 'networking' chapter, and then
> > > also move SocketServer from the 'Internet Protocols' chapter into this
> > > new chapter.
> >
> > Sounds like you mean, 'Non-HTTP Networking'.
>
> I don't think so -- SMTP, FTP, NNTP, and telnet have nothing
> to do with HTTP, but they're certainly Internet protocols.

Sure, but there's typically only one protocol that's carried over any
of them.  Whereas with REST and XML-RPC and so forth, there's a whole
cottage industry of using HTTP as a carrier, in much the same way that
TCP is used at a lower level.

But you're right: there's "Networking / Generic Support", "Networking
/ Specific Protocols", and "Networking / HTTP-based", or some such.

Bill