[Python-Dev] Status of Issue 2331 - Backport parameter annotations

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Jun 20 04:11:48 CEST 2008

David Pokorny wrote:

> [warning - mini rant]
> Reason is, I am using 3.0a for now for this project, but I am sorry to
> say that using parentheses for raising exceptions drives me up the
> wall,

[warning - a bit of a counter-rant ;-]
Does it bother you that you need ()s to make instances elsewhere?
That you have to type int('123') instead of int, '123'?
The exception exception is an anomaly that would be gone in 2.6 (or
possibly not until 2.7), if it had not been put off, with other
removals, to 3.0.
[/rant]

 > and I don't like using them for the former print statement either.

That I sympathize with, but I prefer file = xxx to >>xxx and otherwise
consider it an acceptible price for consistency with input() and getting
rid of lot of things I do not like, from old-style classes to the
exception anomaly ;-)

> I suspect this is partly due to the fact that I'm using 2.5
> for work, so I don't have the option to mentally "switch over" to the
> Python 3 way.

Whereas I do, which, I admit, makes it easier.