[Python-Dev] Epoch and Platform

Pete Forman pete.forman at westerngeco.com
Wed Jun 18 18:58:18 CEST 2008

"Guido van Rossum" <guido at python.org> writes:

 > Leap seconds?  Leap seconds aren't supposed to exist when looking
 > at POSIX timestamps.  They don't exist when I look at my watch
 > either, and that's what I expect from any time-keeping device
 > except those for use by astronomers.

That's pretty much what I was saying.  The POSIX rule for Seconds
Since the Epoch explicitly excludes leap seconds.  Astronomers and the
like then know what further adjustments are required for the their
needs.  The rest of us get along with the assumption that there are
86400 seconds in every day.
--
Pete Forman                -./\.-  Disclaimer: This post is originated
WesternGeco                  -./\.-   by myself and does not represent