[Python-Dev] Proposal: add odict to collections

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sun Jun 15 16:34:56 CEST 2008

Phillip J. Eby <pje <at> telecommunity.com> writes:

> As for the other uses for ordered dictionaries, I find it simplest to
> just use a list of key,value pairs, and only transform it to a
> dictionary or dictionary-like structure as needed, using tools like
> the cgi module, the email package, or wsgiref.headers.

What you are saying is that there are already generally useful container
types in the stdlib, but isn't it a good argument in favor of ripping them
out of domain-specific packages and provide them as generic classes in the
collections module?

Someone never using cgi or wsgiref wouldn't know that some of the code there
can be useful for other purposes.