[Python-Dev] PEP 8 and optional underscores

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 09:49:25 CEST 2008

Georg Brandl wrote:
> Nick Coghlan schrieb:
>> This has become a lot more complicated than what I thought we were
>> doing: adding PEP 8 compliant aliases for the existing methods without
>> otherwise changing the threading implementation. As far as I can
>> recall, that is all that was contained in the 2.x patch I reviewed.
>
> The move to _attributes instead of __attributes was done quite a while
> earlier, in r57222, by Guido himself.

Well, that would explain why it wasn't in the patch I reviewed then :)

Raymond's right that a bunch of those methods are fairly pointless
though (relics of the module's Java origins I guess, just like the
camelCase naming).

Perhaps PEP 371 should be expanded a bit to give some details on the
cleaned up threading API, as well as a deprecation schedule for the old API?

My suggestion would be that we keep the old API around in 3.0 and just
give it a vanilla PendingDeprecationWarning, then look at actually
deprecating it in 3.1 for removal in 3.2 - by that time, the need for
compatibility with versions prior to 2.6 should be fairly rare.

Cheers,
Nick.