[Python-Dev] Python FAQ: Why doesn't Python have a "with" statement?

Cesare Di Mauro cesare at pronto.it
Sun Jun 15 08:16:38 CEST 2008

In data 15 giugno 2008 alle ore 02:24:43, Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> ha scritto:

> ...and which should *not* be used in most cases, for
> the same reason.
>
> All those tutorials that start out with 'from something
> import *' are doing a lot of harm to the impressionable
> minds of new programmers, IMO.

OK, but nobody have questioned about removing 'from something import *' just to help noobs...
That's because the instruction *can* be useful in *some* (hopely limited, but existent) contexts.
It's a matter of programmer choises.

Anyway (and dropping my proposal), I think that the FAQ needs to be changed to advice that the
'with' keyword in Python makes a completely different kind of work.

Cesare