[Python-Dev] Python FAQ: Why doesn't Python have a "with" statement?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Jun 14 22:09:56 CEST 2008

> Just take a look at the example I reported: don't you find it easier to read?

No, not at all. I actually *like* having to specify the object on a
method call. I find C++/Java code very hard to read which invokes a
method without specifying this. infront of the call - in particular
when you are unfamiliar with the class hierarchy you are looking at.
(due to late binding, it is still difficult to find out what specific
method is being called, but atleast you can be certain it's a method,
and you might even have a clue what the dynamic type of the object
is).

So I think the FAQ should continue to claim that Python cannot grow
a Pascal-like with statement.

Regards,
Martin