[Python-Dev] PEP 8 and optional underscores

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri Jun 13 19:14:14 CEST 2008

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 9:42 AM, Benjamin Peterson
<musiccomposition at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 11:40 AM, Raymond Hettinger <python at rcn.com> wrote:
>>>   Nick>      def getName(self):
>>>   Nick>          assert self.__initialized, "Thread.__init__() not called"
>>>   Nick>          return self.__name
>>
>> Why is __name private to begin with?  Any reason for the getters and
>> setters?  Why isn't this just an attribute?
>
> In 3.x, it's just an attribute.

Oh, is it? Where's the PEP with the API redesign? Did I miss some kind
of decision-making process, weighing compatibility concerns against
other issues?

Really, I think this all went way too fast, and should be rolled back
and discussed properly *in detail* first.