[Python-Dev] [Python-3000] First betas (perhaps) on June 18

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri Jun 13 16:20:09 CEST 2008

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 6:54 AM, Facundo Batista
<facundobatista at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/6/13 Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org>:
>
>> My proposal is this: I will spin another release this coming Wednesday, June
>> 18.  If we can get both the 2.6 and 3.0 buildbots green by then, and close
>> out all remaining release critical bugs, then Wednesday's release will be
>> beta 1.  In that case, I will update PEP 361 and push the entire schedule
>> back by 2 weeks to account for our slippage.
>
> Next weekend, 21 and 22, it will be the Python Bug days.
>
> Maybe it's worth to delay the betas one week to include this work?

You mean one more week? (Barry's already delaying them one week.)

I'm fine with whatever delay Barry approves, but I want EVERYONE to
stick to the purpose of the delay: get the buildbots green and close
out release critical bugs. This means no new last-minute features or
big refactorings (unless there's really no more conservative way to
fix a critical bug). It also means try to get at least one other
person to review every change, no matter how small (or big!) *before*
submitting. It also means run the tests before submitting.

On the specific purpose of delaying for the bug day, I'm hesitant --
bug days tend to cause a great deal of commits of code by relatively
new developers, which is counter to our purpose of stability. I would
almost say it's better for the bug day to fall right after the beta.
That also has the advantage that the bug day can focus on new bugs in
the beta, and squash them right away...