[Python-Dev] [Python-3000] Betas today - I hope

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Jun 11 18:57:28 CEST 2008

On 2008-06-11 17:15, Walter Dörwald wrote:
> M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>> On 2008-06-11 13:35, Barry Warsaw wrote:
>>> So I had planned to do a bunch of work last night looking at the
>>> release blocker issues, but nature intervened.  A bunch of severe
>>> thunderstorms knock out my 'net access until this morning.
>>>
>>> I'll try to find some time during the day to look at the RB issues.
>>> Hopefully we can get Guido to look at them too and Pronounce on some
>>> of them.  Guido please start with:
>>>
>>> http://bugs.python.org/issue643841
>>>
>>> My plan is to begin building the betas tonight, at around 9 or 10pm
>>> EDT (0100 to 0200 UTC Thursday).  If a showstopper comes up before
>>> then, I'll email the list.  If you think we really aren't ready for
>>> beta, then I would still like to get a release out today.  In that
>>> case, we'll call it alpha and delay the betas.
>>
>> There are two things I'd like to get in to 3.0:
>>
>>  * .transform()/.untransform() methods (this is mostly done, just need
>>    to add the methods to PyUnicode, PyBytes and PyByteArray)
>
> What would these methods do? Use the codec machinery without any type
> checks?

As discussed in another thread some weeks ago:

.transform() and .untransform() use the codecs to apply same-type
conversions. They do apply type checks to make sure that the
codec does indeed return the same type.

E.g. text.transform('xml-escape') or data.transform('base64').

> I think for transformations we don't need the full codec machinery:

No need to invent another wheel :-) The codecs already exist for
Py2.x and can be used by the .encode()/.decode() methods in Py2.x
(where no type checks occur).

In Py3.x, .encode()/.decode() only allow conversions of the type
unicode <-> bytes. .transform()/.untransform() add conversions
of the type unicode <-> unicode or bytes <-> bytes.

All other conversions in Py3.x have to go through codecs.encode() and
codecs.decode() which are the generic codec access functions from
the codec registry.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jun 11 2008)
2008-07-07: EuroPython 2008, Vilnius, Lithuania            25 days to go