[Python-Dev] segfault in struct module

Gregory P. Smith greg at krypto.org
Wed Jun 11 08:31:23 CEST 2008

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 9:04 AM, Jean-Paul Calderone <exarkun at divmod.com>
wrote:

>   exarkun at charm:~$ ~/Projects/python/trunk/python
>   Python 2.6a3+ (trunk:63964, Jun  5 2008, 16:49:12)
>   [GCC 4.0.3 (Ubuntu 4.0.3-1ubuntu5)] on linux2
>   Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>   >>> import struct
>   >>> struct.pack("357913941c", 'a')
>   Segmentation fault
>   exarkun at charm:~$
>
> The unit test for exactly this case was deleted in r60892.  I would like to
> suggest that just deleting unit tests isn't a very good idea.
>
> Jean-Paul

That deletion was apparently in the release25-maint branch where this bug
has been fixed in order to avoid the test case from allocating 8gb on 64bit
hosts where it wouldn't need to raise a MemoryError (
http://bugs.python.org/issue2137).  However it looks like it was never
committed to trunk.  (release25-maint r60793 has a lot of fixes)

I'm looking into merging the fixes into trunk.

Martin, since you committed 60793 in Feb, any others like this that need
merging from release25-maint to trunk off the top of your head?

-Greg