[Python-Dev] on Python's tests (and making them better)

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sat Jun 7 05:42:19 CEST 2008

On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 08:58:06 am Eric Smith wrote:

> > Really? Given the choice between core_language (divided into syntax
> > and builtins) and stdlib you wouldn't know where to look?
>
> Really. I wouldn't bother thinking about it.  I'd just grep.

Since you'll do the same thing regardless of whether the tests are
nested or not, I don't think you should object to the proposal. "I'm
against it because it will make no difference to me" is not what I call
a good objection.

Some people might prefer to cut down their false positives by splitting
the tests into sub-directories. You can still get all the false
positives you want by writing

grep -r -I parrot *

instead of

grep -I parrot *