[Python-Dev] on Python's tests (and making them better)

Benjamin Peterson musiccomposition at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 18:23:15 CEST 2008

Hi,
This summer, I am going to be revamping Python's test suite. Major
things I plan to do include
- rewriting regrtest.py to be a simple test driver
- implementing CPython only decorators
- moving skipping data to the tests themselves (perhaps with decorators)
- completing the transition to unittest/docttest
- removing old test_support crud (like verify)
- increasing the testing of unicode inputs and fixing bugs the appear
- write new testing docs for newbie contributors
- merging related tests
- reorganizing the tests into separate directories

Other suggestions?

I also wanted to ask about the API compatibility requirements for
test.test_support. IMO, we shouldn't include the testing tools as part
of the stdlib. However, test_support is documented.

Does anyone know any projects using test_support?

--
Thanks,
Benjamin Peterson