[Python-Dev] converting the stdlib to str.format

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 14:19:44 CEST 2008

Greg Ewing wrote:
> Nick Coghlan wrote:
>
>> - remove support for passing a single value to a format string without
>> wrapping it in an iterable first
>
> But won't that clobber a large number of the simple
> use cases that you want to keep %-formatting for?

Note the part of the proposal that allows *any* iterable on the right
hand side rather than the current insistence on a tuple. So the
single-value use cases can be boxed easily with a list.

To my mind salvaging %-formatting requires removing the ambiguity over
whether or not the right hand side will be iterated over.

Cheers,
Nick.