[Python-Dev] Mini-Pep: Simplifying the Integral ABC

Andrew McNabb amcnabb at mcnabbs.org
Thu Jun 5 00:24:17 CEST 2008

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 12:57 PM, Raymond Hettinger <python at rcn.com> wrote:

> Not sure how to generate more discussion.  It seems self-evident
> that an abc with lots of abstract methods is inherently less usable
> and that bitwise operations go beyond the basic notion of "integeriness".
> Requiring all those methods to be defined makes it harder to write
> a compliant class.
>
> Other than int/long, no currently existing type
> matches-up with Integral.  Does anyone care about this?
>
> Hopefully, some discussion gets generated.  But if no one cares, I'll
> happily drop it.

I'm just responding out of duty to add more discussion on the topic.

I think I agree with Raymond on the basic principle that simple ABC's
are easier to use than simple ones.  Anyway, it's hard to add anything
to the discussion when I haven't seen many applications of the Integral
ABC, but in principle, but if I had to vote I'd say that the bitwise
operators aren't particularly integery.

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/