[Python-Dev] PEP 371: Additional Discussion

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Jun 4 06:36:34 CEST 2008

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 6:48 PM, Raymond Hettinger <python at rcn.com> wrote:
> I think its a small disaster to have the APIs be almost
> the same but with trivial differences in spelling.

Strong words -- and it now seems just your gut feelings against mine.
I have come to trust mine quite a bit.

> PEP 8 is a nice guideline but it seems to have become
> an end in an of itself.  The point of the PEP is to use
> consistency as a memory cue, but having two sets of
> method names that are almost parallel but spelled
> differently is at odds with that goal.

PEP 8 helps by making exact method spellings easier to remember. The
recommendation against abbreviations also comes from this goal. It
should be used for all new APIs. (Except of course when adding to a
set of existing APIs that use a different convention.)

I consider multiprocessing a new API -- while it bears a superficial
resemblance with the threading API the similarities are just that, and
it should not be constrained by mistakes in that API.

> Moving both modules to PEP 8 compliance makes more
> sense, but I would hope that gets left for Py3.0.  There's
> too much existing code, too many existing tutorials, and
> too many hardcopy books already in Py2.x.

It was decided not to "fix" APIs for Py3k beyond the module naming
issue. We can add a new PEP-8-compliant API to the threading module in
3.0 but the old API should stay for another release or more. I'm
neutral on whether it makes sense to backport the new threading.py
APIs to 2.6.

--Guido