[Python-Dev] [Python-3000] Stabilizing the C API of 2.6 and 3.0

Gregory P. Smith greg at krypto.org
Tue Jun 3 01:29:16 CEST 2008

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 4:09 PM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:

> I will freely admit that I haven't followed this thread in any detail,
> but if it were up to me, I'd have the 2.6 internal code use PyString

Should we read this as a BDFL pronouncement and make it so?

All that would mean change wise is that trunk r63675 as well as possibly
r63672 and r63677 would need to be rolled back and this whole discussion
over if such a big change should have happened would turn into a moot point.

I would also add macros that map the PyBytes_* APIs to PyString_*, but