[Python-Dev] [Python-3000] Finishing up PEP 3108

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Sun Jun 1 22:37:07 CEST 2008

Mark Dickinson schrieb:
> On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 11:33 AM, Georg Brandl <g.brandl at gmx.net
> <mailto:g.brandl at gmx.net>> wrote:
>

>     Now that the docs are reST, the source is almost pretty enough to
>     display
>     it raw, but I could also imagine a "text" writer that removes the more
>     obscure markup to present a casual-reader-friendly text version.
>
>     The needed sources could then be distributed with Python -- it shouldn't
>     be more than about 200 kb.
>

> +1 from me.  Would this mean that htmllib and sgmllib could be
> removed without further ado.

OK, I've now implemented this in the trunk (will merge to 3k soon --
htmllib and sgmllib can go then).

The topic help is contained in a new module, pydoc_topics.py, which pydoc
imports to provide this help. The module can be generated with Sphinx
by running "make pydoc-topics" in the Doc/ directory. (This is one more
step for the release process, but it is an easy one.)

The module is currently ~ 400 kb in size. If this is deemed to be a problem,
we could use zlib to compress the contents -- which of course is bad for
systems without the zlib module (are there any?).

Georg