[Python-Dev] urllib.quote and unquote - Unicode issues

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Wed Jul 30 19:23:47 CEST 2008

> Actually (as I pointed out before) the existing functions are not
> string-in/string-out.  They are something-in and bytes-out.

Sorry, this is wrong.  "quote" is clearly bytes-in and string-out.
"unquote" is clearly string-in and bytes-out.

The whole point of "quote" is to take an arbitrary sequence of bytes
and represent them as an ASCII string, while unquote reverses this
process.  Again, I urge everyone participating in this discussion to
read RFC 3986.  We're not creating in a vacuum here; we're talking
about implementation of a standard.

Bill