[Python-Dev] Matrix product

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Wed Jul 30 03:38:34 CEST 2008

Sebastien Loisel wrote:
> let
> me describe MATLAB's approach to this. It features a complete suite of
> matrix operators (+-*/\^), and their pointwise variants (.+ .- ./ .*
> .^)

That was considered before as well, but rejected on
the grounds that the dot-prefixed operators were too
cumbersome to use heavily.

In MATLAB, the elementwise operations are probably
used fairly infrequently. But numpy arrays are often
used to vectorise what are otherwise scalar operations,
in which case elementwise operations are used almost
exclusively.

--
Greg