[Python-Dev] Infix operators

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 20:18:17 CEST 2008

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 19:43, Charles Hixson
<charleshixsn at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Therefore it seems to me that the appropriate thing is to create a convention
> that bar-somethingprintable-bar

And the "something-printable" shows the main flaw of this approach.
Mathematics indeed uses a lot of symbols to make things clear and
unambigous. Many of these are hard to print in a line, even with
unicode, and entering and editing this from a keyboard would be very
difficult. So to make this scheme useable you would have to limit
yourself to ascii-codes, and then most of the point goes away since
you can't use the proper symbols anyway, and ambiguity is
reintroduced.

It seems to me that mathematicians who need these things would be
better served by dedicated maths-software.

Just my 2 cents.

http://www.colliberty.com/
+33 661 58 14 64