[Python-Dev] Any PEP about 2.6 -> 3000 code transition?

Kirk McDonald kirklin.mcdonald at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 02:24:28 CEST 2008

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 2:37 PM, Lennart Regebro <regebro at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 20:16, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
>> But waiting until all the betas have gone out totally defeats the
>> purpose of the betas!
>
> I agree. Writing an actual *guide* can wait, but documenting the
> differences with code examples is a work that can start now, and I
> agree that it would be great if this would start now.
>
> But writing a guide might not be a good idea until we know what the
> changes are, and if the API is changing quickly now we don't. :-)

I am the nominal maintainer of the D programming language's bindings
to the Python/C API.[1] Keeping on top of the changes in the C API is
therefore of some interest to me. At the heart of these bindings is
3000 or so lines of D code containing the translated C headers. Adding
the changes made in 3.0 (and 2.6, for that matter) will probably have
to be done by hand. Any document detailing every change, from the
broadest refactorings to the tiniest name-changes, will therefore be
of invaluable assistance to me. Obviously, I don't plan on even
starting this upgrade until the C API is nailed down and such a
document exists. But any drafts, or even a bulleted list of changes,
would at least give me an idea of the scope of what I'm in for.

[1] http://pyd.dsource.org

-Kirk McDonald