[Python-Dev] git repositories for trunk and py3k

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Fri Jul 18 20:12:41 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 11:54 PM, Neil Schemenauer <nas at arctrix.com> wrote:
> [back on the list]
>
> On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 11:24:16PM -0700, Brett Cannon wrote:
>> Turned out to be a rebuild::

>> r65077 = 82d954e8c20c91562c4c660859d17756cba10992
>> r65082 = 1c75cce93c2ef2ec87e801888638cfdf5d2ff29a
>> r65085 = 3143c2fbe7315afd29496dc0cdac3122bed30536
>> Done rebuilding .git/svn/git-svn/.rev_map.6015fed2-1504-0410-9fe1-9d1591cc4771
>>
>> How do I know what is going to be sent? ``git log`` seems to suggest
>> something by not listing a git-svn-id for my last commit, but is that
>> really the best I got?
>
> The command
>
>    git log git-svn..

And those two periods are significant for people who think they are
line noise. Damn is Git quirky.

> will show you changes in your HEAD (by default "master") tree that
> are not in the remote tree (git-svn).
>
>> Is there some other way to see what will be pushed?
>
> I like running "gitk" before I push something.

Sure, but I don't know what the heck I am looking at. There is some
green stuff for both master and my branch, but then there is some more
green stuff just for my branch. Now if it was just the one commit I
did on my branch I would assume that is just what I have not pushed,
but considering there is also a marker on the master branch which is
pristine I am not sure what I am looking at.

>> And how do I diff easily between commits?
>
> It depends on what you want, exactly.  Maybe you can describe some
> use cases.  A DVCS can't use identify revisions like SVN does.
> Generally I find myself using heads or tags to identify versions in
> combination with the ^ operator.  For example,

I assume the ^ operator means "just before this commit".

>    git diff HEAD^
>
> would show the difference between the current working tree and the
> commit before the head of the stored tree.  If you want the patch
> for a single commit, use "git show <object>".  For example, "git
> show" will display the last commit.  To see amk's typo fix:
>
>    git show 6cadb9c1b7e30a8b66cdba01cd79aa6397a07080
>
> You can also abbreviate the commit id, eg.
>
>    git show 6cadb9

Does the abbreviation have to be exactly six characters?

> As I say in my guide, "git format-patch" and "git am" are very handy
> when slinging patches around (e.g. to and from a bug tracker or
> mailing list).

I tried that, but but format-patch didn't show me anything since I had
just committed. And when I run ``git format-patch HEAD^`` it spits out
what looks like a file name, but I don't see it anywhere.

-Brett