[Python-Dev] accepted bytearray items -- integers or numbers?

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Thu Jul 17 00:08:31 CEST 2008

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 2:48 PM, Georg Brandl <g.brandl at gmx.net> wrote:
> Currently, most mutating bytearray methods only accept integers
> as items (in 3k, in 2.6 they also accept single-char strings, for
> a reason I can't remember).
>
> Single-index assignment accepts anything compatible with
> operator.index(). This should be made consistent, but in which
> direction?

I think they should all made to go through operator.index().

BTW, looking at the 3.0 code, I was initially a little confused. While
the term 'item' generally refers to the value of a list or sequence,
several functions in bytearrayobject.c seem to be using it for an
argument that can be either an index or a slice. Notably
bytes_subscript() and bytes_ass-subscript() have this confusing
terminology. This is unrelated but you might want to fix this too.