[Python-Dev] UCS2/UCS4 default

Daniel Arbuckle djarb at highenergymagic.org
Thu Jul 3 16:38:47 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 6:42 AM, Mark Hammond <mhammond at skippinet.com.au> wrote:
> For people on Windows, win32 isn't a "compatibility" consideration.  I
> suspect most users of the other platforms MAL mentioned and all others with
> their own native unicode implementations would agree.

I'm sorry, but you're wrong. Interfacing python to interoperate with
the underlying system is compatibility. Surely your own win32
extensions already address this necessity.

Regardless, as I said before, nothing justifies silently changing the
meaning of a program based on an option that most users don't set for
themselves and are not aware of. When such a change would take place,
it should be reported explicitly as an error.