[Python-Dev] functions vs methods (was Re: trunc())

Ron Adam rrr at ronadam.com
Tue Jan 29 07:37:33 CET 2008

Raymond Hettinger wrote:
> Please ignore my last email.  The idea for combining trunc, ceil,
> floor, etc was probably just a distractor.

I was going to suggest the same round(n, mode="round_method_of choice") to
both round and int(), where int is more forgiving for input.  But wasn't
convinced.

> [GvR]
>> One thing I'm beginning to feel more and more strongly about
>> is that round, trunc, ceil and floor all belong in the same
>>  category, and either should all be builtins or should all
>> be in math.
>
> +1 for all four going into the math module.

Works for me.

It seems simple enough to just do ...

    from math import round_even as round

This gives me the specific rounding behavior I want without a lot of noise.

Ron