[Python-Dev] Incorrect documentation of the raw_input built-in function

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Mon Jan 28 23:59:07 CET 2008

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> On Jan 28, 2008 12:35 AM, Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:

>>So it appears that the official Unix Way prefers using stderr
>>over stdout for prompting, if using the std files for it at all.
>
> That's a dangerous generalization from just one example. I'd prefer it
> if you could unearth some POSIX or Linux base document saying this.

Well, it makes sense in the context of the general Unix
philosophy that stdout is for the result that the program
is computing, and therefore shouldn't be polluted by error
messages or other extraneous things.

Also, the Python interpreter itself appears to write its prompts
to stderr, both with and without readline.

--
Greg