[Python-Dev] Py2.6 release schedule

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Mon Jan 28 20:02:08 CET 2008

On Jan 28, 2008 10:50 AM, Raymond Hettinger <python at rcn.com> wrote:
> What is the current thinking on this?  Is the target still April 2008 as mentioned in PEP361?  Are we going to have an alpha sometime soonish?

I would like to have an alpha before PyCon. It looks like there are
two release schedules for 2.6: one in PEP 361, and another in PEP
3000. The dates in PEP 3000 look a bit more realistic:

* Early 2008 (pre-PyCon): release 2.6a1.
* May 2008 (post-PyCon): full feature freeze for 3.0 and 2.6.
* July 2008: release 2.6 (final).
* August 2008: release 3.0 (final).

Though it all depends on who volunteers to be the 2.6 release manager.
I'm not volunteering, although I'll continue to do 3.0 releases until
someone tells me it needs to be done in a more professional manner
(probably once the betas start).

I do think that another (final) 3.0 alpha before PyCon would also be a
good idea. This way we can gel the release some more. For 2.6 I think
we'll need more alpha releases after PyCon; I doubt the backporting
from 3.0 (which has only started seriously quite recently) will be
done by PyCon.