[Python-Dev] trunc()

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Jan 27 03:13:28 CET 2008

"Jeffrey Yasskin" <jyasskin at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:5d44f72f0801261600l4ea2d006vd58fa5999ba73197 at mail.gmail.com...
|| To elaborate the point I was trying to make: If float() does not mean
| "the float part of"

The 'float part' of a complex number is meaningless since both components
of a complex are floats (in practice, or reals in theory).  The same is
true in polar representation.

| and should not take a complex argument (which I
| completely agree with), then int() does not mean "the int part of" and
| should not take a float argument.

The 'integer (int) part' of a float/rational/real is established thru
decades of usage.  Your consequent is false and in no way follows from your
antecendent.

tjr