[Python-Dev] TIOBE Programming Community Index

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Sat Jan 26 12:41:33 CET 2008

Sorry if this is a repeat.  I don't remember seeing this in the various
Python-related stuff I've received before (and no longer monitor c.l.py,
only look at the weekly summary), though based on the dateline of the
Slashdot item I saw (Jan 9) it should be old news.  Apparently, in 2007
Python surged in the TIOBE Programming Community Index to #6, surpassing
Perl:

    http://www.tiobe.com/tpci.htm

It's got aways to go before it surpasses C++, but that's the next rung in
the ladder...

I'm a little suspicious of the data though.  Given the huge popularity in
AJAX tools I would have expected JavaScript to have increased in popularity,
not decreased.  Hmmm...  And they have both Delphi and COBOL jumping in
popularity by three rungs.

At any rate, there you have it.

Skip