[Python-Dev] PEP: per user site-packages directory

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Tue Jan 22 18:03:19 CET 2008

M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> I don't really understand what all this has to do with per user
> site-packages.
>
> Note that the motivation for having per user site-packages
> was to:
>
>  * address a common request by Python extension package users,
>
>  * get rid off the hackery done by setuptools in order
>    to provide this.
>
> As such the PEP can also be seen as an effort to enable code
> cleanup *before* adding e.g. pkg_resources to the stdlib.

I guess it's a typical case of "while you on it, can you fix the rest of
the world, too?". People see that I invest a fair share of time into the
PEP. So they hope I'm going to solve loosely connected issues, too.

Personally I'm not going to solve every security issue with my PEP. I
suggest that all the people, who were interested in security, come
together and write another PEP.

Christian