[Python-Dev] PEP 365 (was Re: PEP: per user site-packages directory)

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Jan 21 17:25:14 CET 2008

At 10:48 AM 1/21/2008 -0500, Steve Holden wrote:
>Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> > (Heck, if what you really want is to have easy_install support in
> > 2.6, we could just as easily bundle an easy_install.py that asks for
> > an install of setuptools if it's not already present.)
> >
>Would the easiest way to do this be to insert a default dependency on
>setuptools?

Sorry, I don't understand the question.  What do you mean by "default
dependency" and to what are you proposing it be inserted?  :)

What I meant was that we could include an easy_install.py whose sole
function is to ensure that setuptools is installed and then invoke
the "real" easy_install.  Thus, the first time you ran easy_install,
a current version would be downloaded, and thereafter the real one
would be runnable.