[Python-Dev] PEP 370, open questions

Suraj Barkale suraj at barkale.com
Thu Jan 17 23:11:31 CET 2008

Paul Moore <p.f.moore <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Yes, this does contradict the Microsoft guideline that you shouldn't
> write to USERPROFILE, but Microsoft themselves set HOMEDRIVE and
> HOMEPATH, so they vioated the guidelines, not us .
>
> The point here is that we want "the user's home". This is clearly
> %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH% on Windows, guidelines notwithstanding.

To add another twist to this the HOMEDRIVE mapping is not guarantied at all on
windows startup (http://www.google.com/search?q=windows+homedrive+mapping). This
has caused a lot of pain for me in the past.

Can this be changed into using %APPDATA% by default and changing to
%HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH% based on some MSI switch?

Regards,
Suraj