[Python-Dev] PEP 370, open questions

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Thu Jan 17 21:53:31 CET 2008

glyph at divmod.com wrote:
> My suggestion would be to have *both* ~/.local *and* ~/Library/Python be
> honored on the Mac, because there really isn't much harm in doing so.
> Perhaps it would make sense for non-framework builds to not honor
> ~/Library/Python, but I am pretty certain, based on experience fielding
> requests from confused users, that framework builds should still honor
> ~/.local/lib/python.../site-packages.

I'm taking your suggestion under consideration: ~/.local for standard
and framework builds and ~/Library/Python for framework builds only.

> In any event, the really important thing from my perspective is that the
> PEP should explain how this very common use-case for per-user
> installation of libraries can be accomplished on each of the "big three"
> platforms.  This explanation should be put somewhere that users can
> easily find it when they are building libraries.
>
> I don't know what the "right way" to do this on Windows is though, so I
> can't offer much help there.  Something to do with MinGW and intense
> suffering, I would guess.

Good point, but is it the job of the PEP to explain such problems in
detail? The PEP should consider the problem but the explanation belongs
to a tutorial - IMHO.

>> * The patch also adds a usecustomize hook to site. Is it useful and
>>  should it stay?
>
> Should this be "usercustomize"?  I thought it was a typo but I see the
> same typo in the PEP.  I have often wished for something like this for
> debugging, and it might have other uses, but there should be a caution
> against abuse :).

Yeah! I've a tendency to drag typos through my code because I heavily
use copy 'n paste. A while ago I copied a typo from C code into the
Python unit tests and later into the docs, too

Christian