[Python-Dev] Python-Dev Digest, Vol 54, Issue 57

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Jan 15 22:31:42 CET 2008

Oleg Broytmann writes:

 >    ~/.python

To me, this strongly suggests user configuration files, not a place
where an app can store user-specific packages.

True, there are apps that store their stuff in such places, like most
GNOME apps.  But they have no user-servicable parts (including config
files) anyway.

I think both for UI reasons (given above) and for API reasons (given
by others) there should be a separate ~/SOMETHING/{bin,etc,lib,share}
hierarchy for user-specific packaged contents.  I like ~/.local a
little better than ~/local, but both work for me.