[Python-Dev] PEP: per user site-packages directory

glyph at divmod.com glyph at divmod.com
Mon Jan 14 15:15:39 CET 2008

On 12:08 pm, walter at livinglogic.de wrote:
>So if I'm using the --user option, where would scripts be installed?
>Would this be:
>
>Windows: %APPDATA%/Python/Python26/bin
>Mac: ~/Library/Python/2.6/bin
>Unix: ~/.local/lib/python2.6/bin
>
>I'd like to be able to switch between several versions of my user
>installation simply by changing a link. (On the Mac I'm doing this by
>relinking ~/Library/Python to different directories.)

I think the relevant link to change here would be ~/.local.

I have personally been using the ~/.local convention for a while, and I
believe ~/.local/bin is where scripts should go.  Python is not the only
thing that can be locally installed, and the fact that it's
~/.local/lib/python2.6/site-packages  suggests that ~/.local has the
same layout as /usr (or /usr/local, for those who use that convention).