[Python-Dev] New Developer

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 02:57:12 CET 2008

Mark Dickinson wrote:

> Hello all,
> I've recently been granted commit privileges; so, following the usual
> protocol, here's a quick introduction.  I'm a mathematician by day;  my
> degree is in number theory, but five summers of Fortran 77 programming and
> two semesters of teaching numerical analysis have given me a taste for
> numerics as well.  I discovered Python around twelve years ago and found
> that it fit my brain nicely (even more so after nested namespaces were
> introduced) and now use it almost daily for a wide variety of tasks.  I've
> been lurking on python-dev for longer than I care to admit to.  I also
> dabble in Haskell and O'Caml.

Very interesting!  Are you aware of Sage? http://sagemath.org.  All
Python-based, developed originally by a number theorist
(http://wstein.org), and with a rapidly growing team of developers
(including John Cremona, who's contributed a lot of his code to Sage).

The Python-dev team should be proud of the impact Python is having in
scientific computing: python is without a doubt the leading tool for open
source, high-level scientific codes (i.e. not Fortran/C), and growing.
Thanks!

I normally wouldn't announce this here, but please forgive the mini-spam
(and let's continue off list if you are interested):

http://wiki.sagemath.org/days8

Just contact me off list at Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu if you think you'd
like to attend.

Cheers,